To be the functional application(s) specialist and service owner of assigned applications,
accountable for the end-to-end delivery of the service(s) and for providing functional expertise for
solution configuration and incident/problem resolution.
Key Areas of Accountabilities:
Accountability 1: Application Problem Management
- Regularly undertake a review of recent incidents to categorise and identify underlying problems
- Both reactively and proactively investigate the root cause of problems and either perform, or coordinate where necessary with internal and external teams, the actions required to resolve the problem including classification, prioritisation and initiation of action, documentation of root causes and implementation of solutions to prevent future incidents
- Undertake regular capacity and performance reviews to proactively identify trends and future issues
- Ensure appropriate user access management processes are in place and followed and regularly conduct license reviews to maintain compliance
- Ensure all high business impact problems/requests follow standard escalation guidelines
- Communicate problems to employees in the business area of responsibility in a timely manner and monitor the communications of major problems to employees. Ensure the correct information is provided throughout the duration of the problem.
- Take ownership of problems in the business area of responsibility and ensure formal closure of the problem record (Help desk, JIRA, service request with external service provider)
- Work with internal Information Technology teams to create and maintain a KEDB (Known Error Database) and ensure information contained within is up to date and relevant. Take ownership of information contained in KEDB.
Accountability 2: Application Incident Management
- Work with Global Service Desk team to drive the efficiency and effectiveness of the process
- Take ownership for the identification, diagnosis and resolution of application related incidents in the business area of responsibility
- Confirm the business impact of each incident and based on assessment of priority, manage the escalation of the incident
- Identify and launch an incident report for all critical incidents and follow incident escalation procedure
- Manage incidents to ensure all activities are undertaken to resolve the fault. This may be through either performing the activities or coordinating with other IT teams to resolve incidents. Verify that incident has been resolved.
Accountability 3: Application & Process Improvements
- Work closely with Applications Integration team and Design teams and contribute to end-toend solution design of a service.
- Engage in and identify business process improvement opportunities and liaise with Business Partners to seek approval
- Help improve operational efficiency of IT group by defining and executing CSI (Continual Service Improvement) model
- Undertake impact assessments and estimate effort required for project managers implementing solutions which interact with systems you are responsible for
- Maintain a roadmap of application updates aligned to vendor releases (where applicable) including platform (OS, database, browser, client, etc) upgrades and dependencies.
- Implement application patches in a timely manner and raise exemption approval requests when necessary
- Proactively monitor and address business data integrity issues. Work with the key business contacts to improve data quality
- Seek to adopt DevOps processes and practices to deliver improvements in support effectiveness and efficiency and to enable a higher quality and more frequent level of change
- Regularly test DR and service continuity plans, review lessons learnt from each test and recommend process improvements
- Implement functional changes following standard processes
- Implement appropriate automated monitoring and alerting for all new applications and ensure a clear process is defined for who should deal with alerts and how they should be managed.
- Manage small releases and work closely with project managers on major releases to coordinate and communicate the implementation of changes into the production environment.
Accountability 4: Business Partnering
- Understand the detailed business processes that are supported by the systems that you are responsible for.
- Work with business analysts and users to identify process improvement opportunities.
- Understand solution pain points to improve operational support and look for ways to incrementally add to or change the solution
- Take ownership of application knowledge and assist with education and training where required
Accountability 5: Change Management
- Manage, track and optimise changes for the business area of responsibility in partnership with internal IT teams
- Ensure the application services are in constant alignment with the business goals by working closely with IT Business Partners
- Provide support to application users during the change process where needed
- Plan and communicate effectively during a change process. This may be as an individual to key business contacts or in partnership with the Change Control Administrator
- Consider the need and requirements of employees affected by change
- Use strategies to enable smooth transition through the change. Find the optimum time to schedule changes for the business to minimize end user impact on training and testing requirements
- Comply with the defined Cochlear Change Management procedures and policies
- Assess application related technology changes and help to ensure that any changes implemented are in line with both IT roadmaps and Cochlear global strategy
- Understand the acceptance test requirements associated with a change, working together with designers, test engineers and the user, which will confirm that all the high-level business requirements have been met.
- Ensure testing and regression testing is completed and signed off before any change is implemented and that regression test plans are maintained in line with system changes.
- Identify and review incidents caused by change and implement process improvements to minimise the risk of change
Accountability 6: Knowledge Management
- Develop Application knowledge and help share knowledge within IT internal teams.
- Develop and share business process knowledge within IT teams
- Assist in the definition and execution of IT internal knowledge management process
- Participate in the development of user training material and the delivery of training for the business area of responsibility
Team Role (Team member)
- Follow relevant quality procedures in order to deliver quality products and services and identify and support the implementation of continuous improvement
- Contribute ideas on systems and process methods to improve deliverables
- Work safely, complying with all safety procedures and rules
- Actively live and demonstrate the One Cochlear HEAR behaviours
Key Incumbent requirements:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in an application support environment
- Proficient functional knowledge and sufficient technical knowledge required
- Demonstrated experience in improving systems and processes within a commercial environment
- Problem solving, trouble-shooting and consulting in depth with the business at different levels and across functions
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with credibility at all levels of the organisation
- Responsive to customer needs, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in project and change management
- The ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Degree in information technology or similar
- 5 years’ experience in supporting/implementing modules in an application
- Experience in a global company advantageous
Development Value of this role:
- Exposure to Incident and Problem management and apply ITIL knowledge
- Opportunity to learn Change Management skills
- Opportunity to learn and develop understanding of IT technologies in Cochlear
- Develop skills to support Cochlear applications
- Ability to learn and develop skills across Cochlear integrated systems