To manage and maintain the smooth operation of the global Database team to deliver excellent Database Administration services in support of critical Applications platforms.
Database technologies supported primarily include Oracle and MS SQL, but also touch on MySQL, DB2, and Postgress. The Database team is responsible for performance, integrity, security, planning and development of the database environment, as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of Application teams.
This role is focused equally on people (up to 6 direct reports) and technical management.
Key Areas of Accountabilities:
Accountability 1: Oracle/SQL Server Database and Oracle EBS Application Maintenance
- Control user access and security permissions
- Database troubleshooting, tuning and performance optimization
- Perform capacity planning
- Refine the physical design to meet system storage requirements
- Install, upgrade, maintain, monitor, patch and tune Oracle E-Business R12.2, R12.1, Oracle AS server, Oracle Fusion Middleware and other related components.
- Maintain database documentation, including standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Develop, manage and test backup and recovery activities/processes
- Perform database/environment cloning
- Perform data cleansing and migration
- Monitor database security alerts for new vulnerabilities and remediate
- Utilize Oracle EBS R12 utilities to perform maintenance of the eBusiness Suite environment
- Perform administration and maintenance of the Oracle Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Oracle Hyperion, Oracle Business
- Intelligence (OBIEE), and Oracle WebLogic Server to support system integrations.
- Collaborate with offshore peer IT Infrastructure and Applications functional managers to ensure Database systems logically integrate with dependent systems and technology.
Accountability 2: Database Environment Management
- Manage the currency and security of technology platforms through the timely application of system patches and upgrades to software versions as directed by the Infrastructure Architect and external vendors.
- Manage the quality and execution of up to medium risk change requests, and the escalation to the Senior Manager Global Infrastructure Services for high risk and emergency changes.
- Provide support to the execution of key project deliverables and the achievement of key milestones and budget.
- Participate in the preparation for, and be responsive during the execution of, regulatory and other audit activities.
- Manage compliance with Cochlear’s Information Security policies and procedures.
- Maintain industry awareness of potential areas for improvement, enhancement and upgrade to Cochlear’s “Infrastructure Systems” infrastructure, making appropriate recommendations as relevant.
- Engage with key business stakeholders to develop an understanding of business challenges in order to prioritise key operational activities.
Accountability 3: Operations Management
- Ensure the efficient operation and maintenance of Cochlear’s Database infrastructure.
- Establish and maintain a key service provider register including copies of service descriptions, commercial terms, key dates, SLAs and an escalation matrix.
- Contribute to the Service Catalogue for the responsible functional area.
- Establish and maintain a key supplier register, including key contacts, copies of master supply and other commercial agreements and a list of which products are supplied.
- Monitor and respond to service requests and incident escalations in accordance with the prevailing service level agreements.
- Ensure the physical and logical security of all Database infrastructure and corporate data.
- Assist in the development of performance metrics, operational reports and full reporting on areas of responsibility.
- Participate in the annual conduct of Tier 1 Disaster Recovery rehearsal and assessments.
- Manage routine operations in accordance with ITIL v3, Cochlear policies and processes.
- Track financial expenses and provide contribution into the quarterly budget forecast cycle.
- Process 3rd party invoices in a timely manner.
- Support offshore peer IT Infrastructure functional managers and their teams who operate in different timezones, to ensure infrastructure systems are supported throughout operational incidents and other activities in your local timezone.
Accountability 4: Team Management
- Responsible for the day to day management of the Database functional team.
- Ensure that the Database team is appropriately resourced and managed to satisfy all responsibilities within scope
- Participate in and manage the recruitment of new staff.
- Maintain a critical skills matrix for core skills and inform the personal development and training requirements of all team members
- Oversee the performance management and development of existing staff, ensuring high performers are rewarded and low performances are addressed quickly.
- Support the Senior Manager Global Infrastructure Services and be capable of discharging their responsibilities during periods of absence.
- Support offshore peer IT Infrastructure functional managers who have staff located in your local office, in relation to general management oversight and guidance to those staff.
Team Role (Manager of people)
- Demonstrate active involvement in the implementation and improvement of relevant quality procedures.
- Attract, develop and retain the best team to deliver Cochlear’s current and future business objectives, for example, by:
- Ensuring clarity of expectations for individuals and team
- Providing regular feedback on performance
- Providing coaching for growth and success to build individual and team capability
- Demonstrate commitment to workplace health and safety through active involvement and implementation of Cochlear’s OHS and Injury management procedures.
Key Incumbent requirements
- 8+ years’ experience in Database Administration, including min. Oracle 11g/12c, and management of large sized databases > 10TB
- 5 years’ experience with Oracle EBS 12.1. or 12.2
- 3 years’ experience with Oracle Fusion Middleware and SOA 11g/12c
- Experience with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c (min)
- Working knowledge of SQL Server database environments (2008 – 2014)
- Strong Customer Service focus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Tertiary qualifications in Computer Science/Engineering or other IT related discipline
- 3+ years’ team leadership / management experience of IT operations or Database, including management of geographically dispersed team members
- Experience managing MySQL, DB2, and Postgress
- ITIL v3 Foundation Certificate
Development Value of this role
- Development of managerial skills in a global context
- Development of project management skills
- Contribution to the development of a global support processes
- Opportunity to contribute to the global IT Strategy and work across regional boundaries